Thurso Castle

Thurso Castle was originally a 12th century earthwork fortress, founded by the Norse Earls. In the mid 17th century, George, Earl of Caithness founded a stone tower house on the site of the castle. In the 19th century, Sir Tollemache Sinclair absorbed the house in the construction of a Scottish baronial mansion. Sadly in 1952, parts of the castle were demolished and the remains are now a roofless shell.